Foreign affairs in the Bush administration’s first months
• Feb. 2: U.S. sub surfaces under a Japanese fishing boat, killing nine.
• March: President Bush boycotts international peace talks in Colombia.
• March 21: Powell says 50 Russians accused of spying must leave the U.S.
• March 23: President Bush snubs North Korea by cancelling talks on its missile program, putting South Korea in a tough spot.
• April 1: U.S. spy plane collides in midair with a Chinese fighter pilot; crew of 24 is detained for weeks on Hainan Island in China.
• April: President Bush pulls out of Kyoto global warming agreement; Europe says it will push the plan through anyway.