America is changing rapidly. Its present administration is lustily driving the nation toward the clearly failing European socialist model. Watching this causes me to consider some stark contrasts with the perfect model of government expounded in Scripture.
- Socialist government creates complacency through wealth redistribution. God’s government fosters stewardship through private property ownership.
- Socialist government takes from the rich to supply the poor and calls it compassion. God’s government teaches love by example and inspires both rich and poor to emulate of their own will.
- Socialist government encourages dependency. God’s government encourages industry.
- Socialist government creates discontent and a sense of entitlement. God’s government enables man to savor the fruits of his labor.
- Socialist government rewards idleness and saps motivation. God’s government energizes, ennobles and arouses ambition.
- Socialist government tends toward self-satisfaction and mediocrity. God’s government demands excellence.
- Socialist government insulates man from the consequences of his actions. God’s government obliges man to be accountable for his choices.
- Socialist government strips man of responsibility. God’s government prepares man for ever greater capacity, duty and authority.
- Socialist government erodes character. God’s government is aimed primarily at creating and cultivating character.
- Socialist government turns citizens into wards of the state. God’s government transforms people into Gods.
The study of God’s biblical form of government is fascinating and inspiring. If you want to learn more, you might start with an article from our archives, “A New World Economy,” which describes the biblical economic model at work. Then read Chapter 7 of the book Mystery of the Ages, “Mystery of the Kingdom of God.” ▪